The 1970s saw the jazz bass enter its teenage years, and with that saw a bit of a change in the style and design of the instrument. A slightly fresher appearance and updated punchier pick-ups became the inspiration of what led to the era of funk and slap bass, which changed the way that the bass guitar was viewed forever.
The ‘70s saw the Jazz Bass updated with a slightly different neck profile to older models, which is now cited as one of that factors that allowed the change in playing style. It also shows off block inlays, which add a nice touch to the appearance. However, although this American Original model is heavily inspired by the 70s models and maintains the feel of the decade, it is equipped with a modern style radius, which in fact makes it far more playable than the original models.
For the pick-ups, Fender have faithfully reconstructed the manufacturing techniques and materials of the '70s which include the same Formvar-coated magnet wiring to improve overall brightness, same alnico 5 magnets for focus and enhanced dynamics and period correct cloth-covered output wires and fiber bobbins. Fender have clearly put in the effort to capture the details like never before and we're sure you'll love the results.
- Body: Alder
- Body Finish: Urethane
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Shape: "U" Shape
- Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5"
- Number of Frets: 20
- Fret Size: Tall Vintage-Style
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.475" (37.46 mm)
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Serialized
- Neck Finish: Urethane
- Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood
- Position Inlays: Pearloid Block
- Bridge Pickup: American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
- Neck Pickup: American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass
- Controls: Volume 1. (Middle Pickup) / Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup) Master Tone
- Bridge: 4-Saddle American Vintage Bass with Single-Groove Steel "Barrel" Saddles
- Tuning Machines: Fender '70s Vintage-Style Stamped Open-Gear
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic
- Strings: Fender® USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
- Unique Features: Mounted Chrome Pickup and "F" Bridge Cover with Vintage- Accurate Positioning, Upper-Mounted Thumb Rest, Four-Bolt "F" Neck Plate, Walnut "Skunk" Stripe, White Neck Binding with White Pearloid Block Position Inlays