Yamaha MODX8 Synthesizer Keyboard
An unbelievably powerful synthesiser, the Yamaha MODX8 is the perfect synth for players of all styles and all genres. Powered by the same technology that was used in the flagship Montage, the Yamaha MODX8 sounds great, feels great, and holds enough power to navigate whatever use you have for this synth.
The MODX8 is powered by the same technology, though now upgraded, that powered the Montage. This is the AWM2 and the FM-X. The AWM2, short for Advanced Wave Memory 2, is an incredible sample and synthesis engine only found in Yamaha instruments. At its foundation, it is an extremely high-quality sample engine, able to hold and replicate acoustic instruments, but also deeply manipulate these sounds, able to edit using one of the 9 LFOs, the 3-band EQ, pitch and filter envelopes, amplitude, and one of the 18 different filters. I think you'd agree, that's pretty hefty control!
The FM-X is a pure synthesiser engine that has been built to carry you through all styles of music and all kinds of sounds. With immense control, you can create classic 80s pads, soaring 90s synth lines, big EDM trashy sounds and all of this easily manipulated and perfectly crafted to be exactly what you need it to be.
The two engines work together flawlessly. The AWM2 offers 128 note stereo polyphony, while the FM-X offers 64-note polyphony, which is, of course, an outrageous total of 192-note polyphony.
All the Effects
You won't be surprised to hear that the MODX8 is absolutely crammed with studio effects. You name it, it has it. The impressive feature to note though is the quality and control over these effects, allowing you total freedom to customise your sound. This synth even has a unique effect: the spiralizer. This works very much in the same as a Shepard tone, where it adds the auditory illusion of a tone rising, or falling, without it indeed doing so. In addition to this, the MODX8 is able to sidechain sounds to create a beautiful and flawless mix live, where the keyboard is ducked depending on the input, traditionally a kick drum.
It is safe to say that Yamaha have cut down on the unbelievable number of buttons from the MOX series, and a key player in this is the super knob. With this totally unique addition, you are able to control up to 128 parameters set by you simultaneously as you perform. Working in conjunction with the touchscreen, a fluid performance has never been so easy and so flawless to achieve. It can even be assigned to a foot controller so that your hands never even need to leave the keyboard!
As excited as I am, I will hold back from writing in great detail about all the features, or you'll be reading for days. The final key point to note is how brilliantly the MODX8 sits into any setup. Able to be used as a USB interface itself, it will easily integrate both on stage and in the studio. With two A/D inputs, you can live manipulate Envelope Follower, automatically beat-sync the effects of the keyboard and in turn, manipulate the motion sequences to sit perfectly with the song.
In summary, we are absolutely blown away by the MODX8, and you will be too!
- Width: 1,333mm (52-1/2")
- Height: 160mm (6-1/16")
- Depth: 404mm (15-7/8")
- Weight: 13.8 kg (30 lbs 7 oz)
- Number of Keys: 88
- Type: GHS Keyboard
- Initial Touch: Yes
- Aftertouch: No
- Tone Generator: Motion Control Synthesis Engine AMW2: 8 Elements FM-X: 8 Operators, 88 Algorithms
- Maximum Polyphony: AWM2: 128 (max.; stereo/mono waveforms) FM-X: 64 (max.)
- Multi Timbral Capacity: 16 Parts (internal), Audio Input Parts (A/D*, USB*) *stereo Part
- Wave: Preset: 5.67 GB (when converted to 16 bit linear format), User: 1.00 GB
- Performance: Approx. 2,000
- Filter: 18 types
- Effects: Reverb x 12 types, Variation x 76 types, Insertion (A, B) x 76 types*, Master Effect x 15 types *A/D part insertion x 71 types (Preset settings for parameters of each effect type are provided as templates) Master EQ (5 bands), 1st part EQ (3 bands), 2nd part EQ (2 bands)
- Controllers: Master Volume, AD Input Gain knob, USB Volume, Pitch Bend wheel, Modulation wheel, Control Sliders x 4, Knobs x 4, Super Knob, Data dial
- Display: 7" TFT Color Wide VGA LCD touch screen
- Connectors: [USB TO DEVICE], [USB TO HOST], MIDI [IN]/[OUT], FOOT CONTROLLER /, FOOT SWITCH [ASSIGNABLE]/[SUSTAIN], OUTPUT [L/MONO]/[R] (6.3 mm, standard phone jacks), [PHONES] (6.3 mm, standard stereo phone jack), A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] (6.3 mm, standard phone jacks)
- Power Consumption: 16 W (when using PA-150B AC adaptor)
- Accessories: AC adaptor (PA-150B or an equivalent recommended by Yamaha*), Owner’s Manual (this book), Cubase AI Download Information *May not be included depending on your area. Check with your Yamaha dealer.
- Live Sets: Preset: 256 and more, User: 2,048
- Tracks: 16 Sequence tracks, Tempo track, Scene track
- Recording Type: Real time replace, Real time overdub, Real time punch in/out
- Note Capacity: Approx. 130,000 notes
- Note Resolution: 480 ppq (parts per quarter note)
- Tempo (BPM): 5 – 300
- Songs: 128 songs
- Arpeggio: Parts: 8 Parts simultaneous (max.), Preset: 10,239 types User: 256 types
- Sequence Formats: MODX original format, SMF formats 0, 1
|Number of Keys||88 Keys|